* Ligaments are like ropes that connect the bones. When the ligaments in the bones of the ankle are injured, this is called an ankle sprain. The Injury is usually a tear in a ligament. An ankle sprain usually occurs on the outside of ankle joints.
* An ankle Fracture occurs when the bones in the ankle are broken or cracked. Fractures account for about 10%-15% of injuries in children.
* Sensation that ankle gave way
* Ankle pain
* Painful to bear weight on the ankle
* Ankle is bruised or swollen
* Tenderness of the ankle
* Sprain: Stretched or torn ligament caused by a twist Injury of the ankle, in which the foot is twisted underneath the ankle.
1. A fall
2. Child Abuse
3. Bone disease
HOW THE DIAGNOSIS IS MADE
* X-ray, if Fracture is suspected
* Compression and elevation
* Ice first 24-48 hours
* Wrap for support
* If the sprain is moderate-severe, use crutches to avoid bearing weight.
* Pain medications
* If Fracture is present, immobilization and orthopedic evaluation are needed.
* Growth arrest
* Residual deformities
* Progressive deformities