* Including ankle sprains and fractures:
1. Ligaments are like ropes that connect bones together. When the ligaments in the bones of the ankle are injured, this is called an ankle sprain. The injury is usually a tear in the ligament. This commonly occurs after a twist injury of the ankle, in which the foot is inverted underneath the ankle.
2. An ankle fracture occurs when the bones in the ankle are broken (or cracked).
* Lessening of sensation in the ankle
* Ankle pain
* Painful to bear weight on the ankle
* Ankle is bruised or swollen
* Tenderness of the ankle
HOW THE DIAGNOSIS IS MADE
* X-Ray check if fracture is suspected
* Ice for first 24-48 hours
* Ace wrap for support
* If moderate-to-severe, use crutches to avoid bearing weight
* Pain medications
* If fracture is present, immobilization and orthopedic evaluation is needed